MLA Conference Refund Policy for 2024 Meeting (In-Person and Virtual)
- All cancellations and refund requests must be made in writing to the Convention Manager via email at email@example.com.
- Cancellation requests generally will be approved or declined within 30 days of receipt, except for requests received 14 days preceding the conference, or after the conference starts. In those cases, responses generally will be sent within 30 days after the last day of the conference. In case of extraordinary circumstances requiring mass refunds, Registrants will be notified within 30 days of any likely delays.
- Refunds will be allowed as follows:
- Registrations canceled by Thursday, December 15, 2023 (75 days before the start of the conference) will receive a full refund.
- Registrations canceled by Sunday, January 14, 2024 (45 to 74 days before the start of the conference) will receive an 80% refund.
- Registrations canceled by Sunday, January 28, 2024 (31 to 44 days) before the start of the conference will receive a 50% refund.
- No refunds will be given for cancellations received on or after noon CST Monday, January 29, 2024 (within 30 days of the start of the conference) or after the beginning of the opening reception, unless in accordance with the Emergency Circumstances below.
4. Should there be a difference in rate, Registrants who cancel their in-person attendance and who wish to attend the online conference can have the online conference registration fee deducted from their remaining refund upon request, at the same membership level. (Note that in-person attendance registration will otherwise come with online access.)
5. Refunds will be sent back to the Registrant, and cannot be applied back to credit cards. If payment was made or reimbursed by an institution, organization, or business, it is the responsibility of the Registrant to ensure funds are made out to and mailed to the appropriate entity.
6. Refunds will only be given for conference fees. Itemized fees for special events, tours, concerts, workshops, MOUG meetings, extra banquet tickets (for accompanying guest/s), or other add-ons at the conference will be non-refundable, unless they have a separately published refund procedure.
7. Registration fees are non-transferable to another party, program, or to dues.
8. Emergency Circumstances.
- A Registrant is eligible to receive a full refund of all registration fees under the following circumstances:
- Registrant is unable to attend the conference due to the death of an immediate family member or significant other (domestic partner or spouse).
- Serious illness or debilitating health condition of Registrant, a direct family member, or significant other which necessarily restricts travel and full conference participation by the Registrant.
- The conference is canceled for reasons related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Registrant is unable to travel due to a lockdown, isolation, or quarantine enforced by Registrant’s country of residence; travel restrictions imposed by Registrant’s institution, company, or organization due to the COVID-19 pandemic; or visa restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Other extraordinary circumstances (e.g., the death of a service animal on which a disabled Registrant’s attendance is predicated).
- Lack of travel funding is not considered a valid emergency circumstance.
- Refund requests due to emergency circumstances must be received prior to Saturday, March 2, 2024, the last day of the conference. Registrants may be asked to provide documentation of proof for cancellation related to emergency circumstances. By accepting these Terms and Conditions, the Registrant agrees to provide such documentation, if requested.
- Individuals receiving full refunds will not have access to the online conference, unless they ask to have the online conference fee deducted from the refund.
9. Conference registration fees will not be refunded for weather or travel-related delays or cancellations.
10. Leaving the conference early, for any reason whatsoever, will not result in a refund, and no refunds will be made for any unused portions of the event. Likewise, refunds will not be granted for no-shows.
11. Cancellation of the Meeting
- If any portion of the meeting cannot be held or is postponed due to events beyond the reasonable control of MLA or due to events that are not attributable to unlawful intent or gross negligence of the conference organizers, MLA cannot be held liable by participants for any damages, costs, or losses incurred, such as transportation costs, accommodation costs, costs for additional orders, financial losses, etc.
12. Change of Meeting Format
- If the meeting is not held as an in-person function due to events beyond the control of MLA or its meeting venue(s), such as acts of God; war; curtailment or interruption of transportation facilities; strikes, or the imminent threat thereof; threats or acts of terrorism or similar acts; disease outbreak, epidemic, or pandemic; State Department or other governmental or international agency travel advisory; corporate travel restrictions; civil disturbance; or any other cause which, in the reasonable judgment of MLA or the meeting venue would make it inadvisable (from a safety, health or financial standpoint), illegal, impracticable, or impossible to hold an in-person meeting, the meeting may be moved to an entirely virtual format, on the same dates if feasible, or at a later announced date.
- In the event of such a change, all persons who registered for the event prior to the change will automatically be considered registered for the event in its new format. Registrants will be refunded the difference between what they paid for the in-person conference and virtual meeting within their appropriate registration category.
- If any Registrant chooses to cancel participation following the change to a virtual venue, or if the virtual conference does not take place, the Cancellation Policy described above continues to apply.
13. Addendum regarding exhibitors
- For exhibitor registrants, the cost of any expenses incurred by MLA specifically for them (including exhibit tables, special paraphernalia, etc.) will be deducted from their refund. All other aspects of the refund policy will apply to exhibitors. Exhibitors may send materials to the hotel at their own expense to be arranged and shown during the conference. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements.